The Language of Flowers
Florigraphy is a recognised science and means the study of flower meanings. The first "Flower Dictionary" was written by Mme. Charlotte de la Tour in 1818. It was titled Le Language des Fleurs. A Victorian woman named Miss Corruthers of Inverness, was inspired by this book and wrote another book on the subject in 1879. This book has become the standard of flower symbolism.
Beauty in retirement
Nordic symbol of life and immortality
"Your love is returned"
Symbol of love
"Take care of yourself"; Chinese symbol for womanhood
Single blessedness; hope in solitude
Bouquet of Withered Flowers
Great joy and delight
Good luck gift for a man
- Pink Carnation - "I'll never forget you"
- Red Carnation - "My heart aches for you"
- Solid Carnation - "Yes"
- Striped Carnation - "No, I cannot be with you"; refusal
- White Carnation - Sweet and lovely; good luck gift
- Yellow Carnation - Rejection
"You are a wonderful friend"; hope amid darkness
Respect; "The sun always shines when I am with you"
Loyal love; purity
Fleur de Lis
True love; memories
"You are lovely"; feminine grace
"Give me a break!"; natural grace
"I am sorry, please forgive me"; sorrow (general)
"Thank you for understanding"
"Your friendship means a lot to me"; compliments; wisdom; faith and hope
Good luck, productivity
"Love me"; sympathy
- Calla Lily - Beauty
- Day Lily - Emblem for motherhood (China)
- Tiger Lily - Prosperity
"Stay as sweet as you are"
- Cattleya Orchid - Maturity; charm
Merriment; unspoken communication between lovers (from French pensee, meaning thought)
Compassion, ability to keep a secret
"Your presence soothes me"; resentment; anger
Eternal sleep; oblivion
"I cannot live without you"
- Pink Rose - Happiness
- Red Rose - Passion; love
- White Rose - Purity; innocence; love not just of the body, but of the soul
- White & Red Roses - Unity
- Yellow Rose - "I care"; friendship
- Single Rose - "I still love you"
Happiness in marriage
"Goodbye and thank you for a lovely time"; departure; lasting pleasure or careless luxury
Perfect lover; luck; floral emblem of Holland
- Red Tulip - Declaration of love
- Yellow Tulip - "There is sunshine in your eyes"; declaration of utter and hopeless love
"Dance with me"
Thinking (in memory) of an absent friend